This event may be of interest to our members. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
|The Association of Women Lawyers is accepting applications from women lawyers who are interested in joining the Board of Directors. Applications may be submitted by email to The Association of Women Lawyers, c/o Rani Wong, at email@example.com
no later than noon on November 20, 2019. All applications must include
a copy of your resume and a short statement outlining the reason for
your interest in joining the Board.|
The AWL Nominating Committee will review all applications and include up to 8 applicants in the slate of Directors it recommends for election at the AWL Annual General Meeting at 12:00 pm on Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at the offices of Gowling WLG (Suite 1600, 421 – 7 Avenue S.W., Calgary, AB).
The Board Member Expectations are below for your reference.
| Association of Women Lawyers (AWL) Board Member Expectations|
1. Each director shall prepare for, attend, and participate in at least 8 out of the 10 regular Board of Director’s meetings scheduled throughout the year.
2. Each director shall sit on at least one (1) Board Committee and be an active participant of that committee. The Chair of each committee is responsible for arranging regular committee meetings and leading them.
3. Each director shall prepare for, attend, and participate in the Annual General Meeting of AWL.
4. Each director shall attend at least two (2) AWL events per year.
5. Each director shall review and be familiar with the mission statement and bylaws of AWL.
6. Each director shall review and assess their individual contribution and satisfaction as a board member each year. Each director will be contacted by a member of the Board of Director’s Executive prior to the AGM each year to canvass whether the director intends to stand again for election and to discuss that director’s self-assessment.
7. Each Director shall promote AWL and its mission in their circles of influence.
Congratulations to Nicole Lecours, Julie d’Avignon, Lisa McDowell, and Sakshi Sharma; the winners of this year’s AWL Golf Tournament!
It was a great day and we look forward to seeing you all next year. A special thanks goes out to Ashton Butler, Kara Davis, and their team for planning this fantastic event!
Join contributors to the anthology, members of the legal community, members of the judiciary and students for an inspirational evening of stories.
Thursday, March 21
5 – 7 p.m.
Murray Fraser Hall
University of Calgary
A formal program will take place from 5 – 6 p.m., followed by a book signing and sales, and cocktail hour.
Peter Dawe, Event Coordinator
403.220.5417 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out this event invitation from Legal Leaders for Diversity and Inclusion…
By way of introduction, I am on the Executive Committee of Legal Leaders for Diversity and Inclusion (LLD). LLD is an association of legal leaders across Canada who are committed to promoting diversity in the workplace, as well as supporting initiatives to encourage greater diversity and inclusion in our organizations, the legal profession, and the greater Canadian business community.
Part of my role on the LLD Executive Committee is to increase its presence in the western provinces. In that regard, we have organized an interesting and thought-provoking LLD event on Thursday, February 7, 2019. I would be pleased if you could join LLD in Calgary for an evening of conversation and networking, including a panel discussion on various career paths in law and promoting diversity in the workplace.
- Chima Nkemdirim – Vice President, Government Relations at Shaw Communications and former Chief of Staff for Calgary Mayor Nenshi
- Bindu Cudjoe – Senior Vice-President and General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, Canadian Western Bank
- The Honourable Madam Justice April Grosse – Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta
Moderator – Munaf Mohamed, Bennett Jones LLP
The speakers will share their thoughts on both challenges and opportunities for lawyers from diverse backgrounds and the different paths they have taken to building careers based on legal training.
The details for the evening are as follows:
|Date:||Thursday, February 7th, 2019|
|Time:||4:30 p.m. | Check In and Pre-Mingle|
|5:00 p.m. | Speaker Panel|
|6:00 p.m. | Networking|
|Address:||4500 Bankers Hall East|
|855 – 2nd Street S.W.|
|Calgary, AB T2P 4K7|
|45th Floor, Jones Boardroom|
The event will be hosted by the Calgary office of Bennett Jones LLP.
Please RSVP by Friday, February 1, 2019. You are more than welcome to extend this invite to a few members of your legal department or firm who may be interested in also attending, but please have them RSVP separately so we can confirm numbers for catering. We hope to see you there! You can contact me directly at Jeff_Ellis@cpr.ca if you have any questions.
If you are interested in learning more about LLD generally, please visit https://legalleadersfordiversity.com/.
Chief Legal Officer
The Legal Archives Society of Alberta is pleased to invite you to an Evening with the Hon. Mary T. Moreau, Chief Justice, Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta at the Annual Historical Dinner in Calgary on October 4, 2018 at the Fairmont Palliser Hotel.
For ticket information please click the following link to be redirected to LASA’s website: www.legalarchives.ca
The newly founded UCalgary Moot Court Society is looking for volunteers interested in being a trainer for one or more of their workshops. The time commitment is low (2-3 hours once a month) but the impact to undergrad students, who are inexperienced in moot court, is considerable. If you are interested, please contact Gayathri Peringod at email@example.com
Looking to enjoy dinner, hear from inspiring speakers, and make some new connections in the city? If so, you may want to attend the Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers 3rd annual Diversity in the City Gala. Click here for details.
The Honourable Justice Rosalie Abella – the 2018 WILL Awards Lifetime Achievement Award winner – will also be receiving the 2018 Calgary Peace Prize. Click here if you are interested in event details. Congratulations, Justice Abella!
Catch up on all the news here!