The AWL Young Women Lawyers (YWL) Committee was founded in 2014 to address the specific needs of female practitioners under 5 years of call. Retention of women within the first 5 years of practice has long been a struggle of the legal profession and the YWL seeks to address this by fostering peer mentoring relationships amongst female lawyers through regular events featuring experienced guest speakers on issues of relevance to junior members of the bar.
These events are usually informal gatherings, hosted on a Sunday morning over brunch. Examples of past topics include:
- Confidence: How do Women Project their Value? (November 2014)
- How to Recover from a Mistake? (April 2015)
- Personal Financial Literacy (September and October 2015)
- Protecting your Family Assets (March 2016)
- Dressing for your Body Type (in partnership with ESPY) (April 2016)
The Committee is always looking for suggestions for new topics and speakers. If you have an idea you would like to communicate, please do not hesitate to contact Noren Hirani or Danica Doucette-Preville.
For updates and upcoming events, please check out of Events page.