This year marked the 6th Annual Women in Law Leadership (WILL) Awards and the introduction of the Law Firm Award, presented to the firm operating in Alberta that best fosters an inclusive environment for women lawyers. The inaugural WILL Law Firm Award was present to Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP in recognition of the firm’s commitment to advancing women in law.
The sold out Awards Dinner, held at Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in Edmonton on November 17, saw over 220 members of the legal community gather to honour this year’s recipients. The Honourable A. Anne McLellan delivered the keynote address and was presented with the 2016 Lifetime Achievement Award.
The 2016 award recipients are:
- Lifetime Achievement Award – The Honourable A. Anne McLellan, P.C., O.C., A.O.E.
- Law Firm Award – Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
- Leadership in the Profession (Private Practice) – Rose M. Carter, Q.C. (Partner, Bennett Jones)
- Leadership in the Profession (Private Practice) – Heather Treacy, Q.C. (Managing Partner (Calgary), DLA Piper)
- Leadership in the Profession (In-House) – Lara Pella (Assistant General Counsel, Imperial Oil Limited)
- Leadership in the Profession (Government) – Karen Elizabeth Hewitt, Q.C. (Crown Counsel, Alberta Justice, Special Prosecutions Branch)
- Leadership in the Profession (Broader Role) – Jennifer Koshan (Professor, University of Calgary, Faculty of Law)
- Leadership in the Community – Sandy Vander Ziel (Associate, Dunphy Best Blocksom LLP)
- Tomorrow’s Leader – Kerry Lynn Okita (Associate, Bishop & McKenzie LLP)
The WILL Awards are co-founded by The Counsel Network and the Association of Women Lawyers and presented annually to women lawyers in Alberta. Follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram to stay current on everything WILL Awards. Visit us at willawards.ca.